Terri Wood, Trial Attorney P.C.
Law Office of Terri Wood, P.C.:
Private practitioner specializing in criminal trial practice at state and federal levels, including state capital cases, Sept. 1988 to date.
“AV” rating in Martindale-Hubble; Oregon Super Lawyer; and Best Lawyers in America.
Office of the Public Defender, Sixteenth Judicial Circuit, State of Florida:
Major felonies and capital cases trial attorney, May 1984 -June 1988; Felony/misdemeanor trial attorney, Oct. 1982-May 1984.
Southern Legal Counsel, Inc.: :
Associate/law clerk, Sept. 1981-Oct. 1982 (public interest law firm).
New York Times Affiliated Florida Newspapers:
Reporter covering local government, courts and police beat, Nov. 1975-Sept. 1981.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL LICENSES
- Oregon State Bar: Admitted Sept. 1988.
- United States District Court, Oregon: Admitted Nov. 1989; and Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- University of Florida, Holland Law Center: J.D. with honors, Dec. 1981.
- University of Florida, College of Journalism: B.S. with high honors, June 1975.
ACTIVITIES & AWARDS
- “The Top 100 Trial Attorneys” in Oregon, by the National Trial Lawyers, 2008-to date.
- “Top 25” Women Super Lawyers, Oregon 2017.
- Oregon Super Lawyer, 2006-to date.
- Admitted as a Fellow to The Litigation Counsel of America, Proven Trial Lawyers, 2015-to date.
- Vice President, Oregon Criminal Defendant Attorney Association, 2013-2014.
- Board of Directors, Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (OCDLA), 2012-2016.
- Chair and Co-Chair of OCDLA Publications Committee, since 2014.
- Board of Directors, Lane County Bar Association, 2010-2012.
- Board of Directors, Lane County Public Defender Services, since 2010; Chairperson since 2016.
- Member of Oregon Criminal Defense Attorneys Association, Criminal Justice Act Panel Attorneys, OCDLA Capital Defenders Association, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Lane County Bar Association, Roland K. Rodman Inn of Court; past pro-tem judge for Lane County Circuit and District Court.
SCHOLARLY LECTURES AND WRITINGS
- Chapter author in 2017 manual, "Still at War: A Guide for Defenders, Prosecutors & Judges Dealing With Oregon’s Veteran Defendant Crisis," available through the Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association.
- Author and Presenter, "The Top Ten Things to Know About Motion Practice," OCDLA "Z is for Zealous" seminar 2015.
- Author and Presenter, "Strategic Suppression: A Methodology for Framing and Litigating Search and Seizure Issues," OCDLA Search and Seizure seminar 2014.
- Author of the Discovery Chapter for the Oregon Criminal Defense Association's new edition of the Criminal Trial Manual., Author, Discovery Chapter, Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Legal, 2013.
- Chapter author for "Jury Selection in Criminal Cases," published by Aspatore as part of its "Inside the Minds" series, featuring "Leading Lawyers On Balancing The Art And Science Of The Voir Dire Process"., Author, "Understanding and Perfecting the Art of Jury Selection", Aspatore , Legal, 2013.
- Chapter Author for "Inside The Minds: Defense Strategies For Drug Crimes," a book that features leading lawyers on interpreting today's drug cases, developing a thorough defense, and protecting a client's rights. Read Terri Wood's chapter on attacking probable cause based on the subjective sensory perceptions of police officers, on her website, Chapter Author, Aspatore, Attorneys, 2012.
- Presented analysis and ideas for federal sentencing strategy post-Booker, Leader, breakout session, Defender Services Division Training Branch, “Winning Strategies” 2005
- "Addressing Diversity Issues During Voir Dire", Author and Co-Presenter, OSB Criminal Law Section, 16th Annual Contemporary Issues in Criminal Justice, 2003.
- "Keeping Prejudice Out of the Jury Room: Voir Dire for the Minority Defendant", Author and Presenter, OCDLA Annual Conference, 2003.
- "An Investigative-Reporter-Turned-Lawyer's Tool Bag for Discovery in Complex Cases (and Cracking the Cartwright Code)", Author & Presenter, OCDLA seminar 2001.
- "Theory of the Case: Voir Dire and Closing", Author and Presenter, OCDLA "Sex Crimes: Defending the Accused" seminar 1995.
- "Getting Discovery: Oregon Statutory Basis and Developments in the Law", Author & Presenter, OCDLA "Discovery and Trial Preparation" seminar 1992.
- Adjunct lecturer, winter term, University of Florida, College of Journalism, 1981.
- Editor, The Verdict, Holland Law Center, January - June 1980.
- Lecturer, OCDLA seminars; instructor, University of Oregon trial advocacy classes.
“We see an economy that makes stocks soar, investor portfolios bulge, and corporate profits climb, but fails to give workers their fair share of the reward. A government that struggles to keep itself open. . . A Justice Department rolling back civil rights by the day. . . Bullets tearing through our classrooms, concerts, and congregations, targeting our safest, sacred places. . . And this nagging, sinking feeling, no matter your political beliefs, that this is not right. This is not who we are.”
~ Joe Kennedy (Jan. 30, 2018)
Geographical Practice Areas: Attorney Terri Wood has over 30 years of experience fighting for the rights of clients accused of crimes. Her practice is exclusively, 100% criminal defense. Attorney Wood represents criminal defendants charged in Oregon’s federal, state, and municipal courts, and persons under investigation for crimes. Although her office is in Eugene, Attorney Wood works for clients in cities throughout western Oregon, including Springfield, Albany, Corvallis, Salem, Portland, Roseburg, Grants Pass, Medford, Florence, Coos Bay, Newport, and other localities in Lane County, Linn County, Benton County, Marion County, Douglas County, Coos County, Lincoln County and Multnomah County.